Disclaimer - This is a 2 part series. Part 2 will consist of my real life experiences on how I use scrip, and how you can too. Stay tuned...
You've read the Facebook posts, looked over the paperwork your child has brought home from school; perhaps even stumbled upon our website to figure out what this Scrip thing is all about. You think about it, but then decide it's not for you because "it seems complicated", or "it's too much work".
I'll admit it, if this is something very new to you, it may seem overwhelming at first. Heck I remember the first time I saw Windows 8...I was clueless. But what if someone could dummy this down for you and explain it, or perhaps even show you how to do it. Would that make you grab a cup of coffee and continue reading? I hope so...
Step 1 - Sign up for Scrip 2 ways
1. Fill out the Scrip form which you may obtain from the school office, print it off from our website www.friendsofwinskill.org, or return the form that was sent home with your child. All checks will need to be made out to Friends of Winskill.
2. Visit www.shopwithscrip.com
- Click "Register"
- "Join Your Group's Existing Program"
- Enrollment Code CBFA3L344L541
I choose the online way which is how I use and plan on using Scrip. Let's continue...
Step 2 - How to Pay
Next you need to figure out how you want to pay for the gift cards. You may send a check to Friends of Winskill, or sign up for PrestoPay(recommended, quicker).
PrestoPay is sort of like Paypal for Scrip. When you sign up for PrestoPay, you need to enter in your bank routing number and account number. Don't worry, everything is very secure. To verify your account information, you will need to wait 1-2 business days for PrestoPay to communicate with your bank. Once everything is ready, you'll notice 2 very small deposits into your checking/savings account. You'll need to know the values of these to finalize your PrestoPay account.
How to Finalize...
- Go to www.shopwithscrip.com and login with your username and password
- Click on Dashboard
- Click on PrestoPay
- Enter the 2 deposit amounts that were in your bank account
- If successful, you'll receive a PrestoPay approval code
- Email the approval code to email@example.com
- Once we have the approval code, you may begin shopping!
I signed up for PrestoPay, which was very easy and I was shopping within 2 days...
Step 3 - Ordering Gift Cards
First off, you need to know what different types of Gift cards you can purchase. Let's look at them...
- Regular Gift Card - If ordered via shopwithscrip.com or via turning in a form, you'll receive the card from our Scrip coordinator once we receive them(they do not get mailed to you directly, rather to the Scrip coordinator. We may have gift cards on hand, so check with our scrip coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or at the Winskill office.
- ScripNow E-Cards (S)- These are electronic gift cards. You'll receive the e-cards almost instantly and will be available in your Scrip Wallet. You can print these e-cards off and present them at checkout. If printing is a hassle for you, you can just pull up your e-card on your smartphone via www.shopwithscrip.com. Most e-cards are accepted by showing them your phone, but certain stores still don't allow this. To find out if you can use your smartphone, look for
3. Reload Cards (R) - Once bought from www.shopwithscrip.com, you may "load" them back up with money. You can specify any denomination. If you login and load the card with by 2:30pm CST, your card will be ready to use the following day.
4. ReloadNow Cards (RN) - These are the same as Reload cards, but the cards can be reloaded within seconds and ready to use if you use PrestoPay. All Reload cards are not always available for ReloadNow.
Now that you know what types of cards you can purchase, let's purchase one!
- Go to www.shopwithscrip.com
- Click Login at the top, and enter your username and password
- If you know what store you are looking for, you may enter it in the Search box. Otherwise you can click on Shop to look through all the different brands.
- If you find a brand you like, hover over it to see what card options are available
I am going to choose the ScripNow option. I'm ready to eat some wings!
5. I selected ScripNow ECard, now I just enter in the denomination of how much($10 increments)
6. Select Add to Cart
7. If you are done shopping, you can click on your cart in the upper right corner. If you are not done shopping, continue to search and add cards.
8. Checking out - Verify the cards you are ordering, and make sure to select PrestoPay in Payment Options
9. Click Submit Now
Not so hard was it? Friends of Winskill just received $8 for me ordering a gift card for somewhere that I already was going to go. Ok I go there all the time. So where does this E-card go? Let me show you...
If you go back to the Dashboard on www.shopwithscrip.com, you then can select Wallet. This will display all of your E-cards and Reloads. Here you are also able to Reload your cards.
Now I can either print this card off and use it in store, or I can use it online at Target.com. In this case, I used it online. When I went to checkout at Target.com, I entered in this Gift card information and it was subtracted from my bill. Now where's the Staples easy button at? I need to press it...
I've shown you how you can sign up for scrip, how you can order cards, and a brief summary of how you can utilize them. Stay tuned for Part 2 of this series as I detail my real life scenarios of how I use scrip, and how you can too.
For more information, make sure to visit our Scrip page